Students with Disabilities

For students with disabilities, knowing their rights and responsibilities as well as the responsibilities of a college or university is important when requesting the support they need to learn and work successfully.

Disability Support Services Contacts for Iowa Colleges and Universities

Disability Support Services Contacts for Iowa Community Colleges

Eligibility for Academic Accommodations

Eligibility for academic accommodations in college is based on documented need. Documentation can be provided through the Support for Accommodation Request form (SAR instructions) or other school records. After review by the college student disabilities services provider, additional information may be requested to determine a student's eligibility for accommodations. The cost of any testing will be the responsibility of the student and family.

Academic accommodations may include:

  • Note takers
  • Extended time for tests
  • Readers and/or scribes
  • Books in alternate formats
  • Computer assisted technology
  • Interpreter services
  • Accessible classrooms

Services of a personal nature are not considered academic accommodations. To access personal services, students will need to contact the academic support/enrichment person on campus, their Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation counselor, and/or the Iowa Department for the Blind.

Personal services may include:

  • Tutoring
  • Drivers
  • Personal attendant

Other resources

Printed from the Iowa College Student Aid Commission website on May 21, 2018 at 9:55am.