How to Rock College Visits
Visiting a college is the best way to find out if a particular school is the right fit for your future. Attending a college that doesn't meet your academic, financial and personal needs can create real challenges to achieving your educational and career goals. While a campus tour won't tell you everything you need to know when trying to determine college fit, it will go a long way to letting you know both what college is like and what life would be like for you on that campus. Here are some tips to get the most out of your college visit:
- Some colleges might be too far away. Start with virtual campus tours. Check the college’s website or look into online sites such as ecampustours.com and campustours.com.
- Take a campus tour, check out housing options and explore the surrounding area.
- Schedule a visit with the financial aid office.
- Get a feel for college life by eating in a campus cafeteria and staying overnight in campus housing.
- Sit in on a class that interests you.
- Talk to a professor in your intended field of study.
- Ask current students about campus life.
- Read the campus newspaper.
- Visit with advisors and members of clubs and activities that interest you.
- Document each visit, including any feelings you have.