Students with Disabilities

For students with disabilities, knowing their rights and responsibilities as well as the responsibilities of a college or university is important when requesting the support they need to learn and work successfully.

Disability Support Services Contacts for Iowa Colleges and Universities

Disability Support Services Contacts for Iowa Community Colleges

Eligibility for Academic Accommodations

Eligibility for academic accommodations in college is based on documented need. Documentation can be provided through the Support for Accommodation Request form (SAR instructions) or other school records. After review by the college student disabilities services provider, additional information may be requested to determine a student's eligibility for accommodations. The cost of any testing will be the responsibility of the student and family.

Academic accommodations may include:

  • Note takers
  • Extended time for tests
  • Readers and/or scribes
  • Books in alternate formats
  • Computer assisted technology
  • Interpreter services
  • Accessible classrooms

Services of a personal nature are not considered academic accommodations. To access personal services, students will need to contact the academic support/enrichment person on campus, their Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation counselor, and/or the Iowa Department for the Blind.

Personal services may include:

  • Tutoring
  • Drivers
  • Personal attendant

Other resources

Financial Aid Opportunities for Students With Disabilities

U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights

U.S. Department of Education provides guidelines about responsibilities for students with disabilities in postsecondary education.

ASK Resource Center

Access for Special Kids (ASK) Resource Center is a parent training, information and advocacy center for families of children with special needs across Iowa. ASK is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.

STRIVE (Selected Training Received in Vocational Education) at DMACC

STRIVE is a support program on the Des Moines Area Community College Ankeny campus for special education students requiring transition assistance from high school to a vocational program at DMACC.

The Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD)

AHEAD provides numerous workshops/conferences that focus on common problems and solutions for upgrading the quality of services available for students with disabilities in postsecondary institutions around the world.

Disabilities Opportunities Internetworking Technology (DO-IT)

DO-IT strives to promote the use of technology to maximize the independence, productivity and participation of people with disabilities.

Going to College

Going to College provides college planning information, videos from current college students and a series of modules to educate students with disabilities on how to be successful in college.

HEATH Resource Center

HEATH is a national clearinghouse on postsecondary education for individuals with disabilities. 

Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services (IVRS)

IVRS wants you to be successful at college. IVRS representatives will help connect you to college student disability service centers to help with any college adjustment needs you may have.

Transition in Iowa

Transition in Iowa provides youth with disabilities information and tools that can be used to plan a successful move to adult living, learning and working. Transition in Iowa is a part of ASK Resource Center.

Printed from the Iowa College Student Aid Commission website on March 18, 2018 at 11:59pm.