Health Professional Recruitment Program
The Health Professional Loan Repayment Program (HPRP) was established to increase the number of osteopathic doctors, physicians assistants, podiatrists and physical therapists practicing in high-need communities in Iowa. The program provides loan repayment benefits to individuals that practice in specified locations for up to four years. The maximum award for this program is $50,000, which is paid in four increments toward outstanding Federal Stafford Loan and Grad PLUS Loan balances at the end of each 12 month employment period. HPRP Fact Sheet (pdf)
- Graduate from Des Moines University.
- Be employed as an osteopathic doctor, physician assistant, podiatrist, or physical therapist in a high-need community in Iowa that agrees to provide a dollar-for-dollar loan repayment match to state funds. High need communities must be a designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) or listed on the Governor’s Designated Health Clinic County list.
- Complete an application with Des Moines University for funding.
- Practice in a high-need community for four years.
The maximum annual award is $12,500 for up to four consecutive years. The maximum amount a recipient can receive over the four-year period is $50,000. Award amounts may be reduced if the community matching funds are less than the annual maximum award. All award funds must be applied to outstanding student loan balances.
- Federally designated HPSA: http://www.hrsa.gov/shortage/
- Governor’s Designated Rural Health Clinic Counties (pdf)
How to apply:
Visit the Des Moines University website and complete an application between January and March.