Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Grant
The Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Grant provides awards of up to $5,000 per year to students who age out of foster care and students who are adopted after age 16. Grant awards are sent directly to the college or university and can be used to pay for tuition/fees, room/board, book/supplies and personal/living expenses.
ETV funds can be used during the summer if the student has not received the entire $5,000 during the prior academic year. Funding can be used for undergraduate and graduate programs starting in the fall of 2016. Priority for funding will be given to undergraduate students. If funding is available after July 1 of each year, graduate level applicants may be awarded in date-received order. Graduate students need to complete the standard applications and also email the ETV coordinator information on your graduate level program of study.
Student must be/have been:
- The age of 18 or aged out of court-ordered foster care and custody of the DHS/JCS.
- The age of 18 or aged out of court-ordered foster care and custody of the DHS/JCS and ordered to live with a relative or suitable person.
- Between the ages of 16 and 21, as of July 1, and was in one of the living situations described above until the age of 18. Student will have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and the Iowa Financial Aid Application annually, and be eligible and awarded prior to the age of 21, as of July 1, on the day he or she begins college.
- Previously in Iowa foster care and was legally adopted after the age of 16. Student will be under the age of 21, as of July 1, on the day he or she begins college.
* Students who are enrolled and maintaining satisfactory academic progress toward degree completion at age 21 are eligible to receive ETV until the age of 23 as long as they remain continuously enrolled, this does not include summer. A student's age will be determined by student's age as of July 1 each year.
- Iowa Financial Aid Application
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- FAFSA Tips for Foster Youth (pdf)
Students applying for ETV and who will be attending an out-of-state college must:
- Print the release and consent form (pdf) and follow the instructions on the form.
- Sign up for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) (pdf).
- Print the ETV enrollment verification (pdf) and W-9 (pdf) forms, and provide to your school's financial aid office to complete and return to Tonia Smith at the address or email below. Please note that the enrollment verification form must be completed each term.
DHS-Child & Family Services
1305 E. Walnut St.
Des Moines, IA 50319
P: 515-281-8797 877-272-4456
- The Iowa Financial Aid Application will be available January 1 through December 1.
- Priority application deadlines for renewal students is March 1.