Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Grant
The Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Grant provides awards of up to $5,000 per year to students who age out of foster care and students who are adopted after age 16. Grant awards are sent directly to the college or university and can be used to pay for tuition/fees, room/board, book/supplies and personal/living expenses.
Student must be/have been:
- Under the age of 18 and currently in licensed foster care under the care and custody of the Iowa Department of Human Services or Iowa Juvenile Court Services and will remain in placement to within 30 days of his or her 18th birthday.
- Under the age of 18 and currently under Juvenile Court order to live with a relative or suitable person and will remain in placement to within 30 days of the students' 18th birthday.
- Currently between the ages of 18 and 21 and was in one of the living situations described above until the age of 18. Student will have completed the annual Iowa Financial
Aid Application and be eligible and awarded and be under the age of 21 on the day he or she begins college.
- Previously in Iowa foster care and was legally adopted after the age of 16. Student will be under the age of 21 on the day he or she begins college.
- Iowa Financial Aid Application
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
FAFSA Tips for Foster Youth (pdf)
Students applying for ETV and who will be attending an out-of-state college must:
- Print the release and consent form (pdf) and follow the instructions on the form.
- Print the ETV enrollment verification (pdf) and W-9 (pdf) forms, and provide to your school's financial aid office to complete and return to Tonia Smith at the address or email below. Please note that the enrollment verification form must be completed each term.
DHS-Child & Family Services
1305 E. Walnut St.
Des Moines, IA 50319
- The Iowa Financial Aid Application will be available January 1 through December 1.
- Priority application deadlines for renewal students is March 1.