All Iowa Opportunity Scholarship
The All Iowa Opportunity Scholarship (AIOS) is a state-funded scholarship program for students who do well in high school and demonstrate financial need. The 2016-17 maximum award is $8,368.
Priority for Awards
- Applicants who participated in certain federal TRIO programs.
- Applicants who graduated from alternative high schools or alternative high school programs.
- Applicants who participated in a Federal GEAR UP Grant program in Iowa.
First priority will be given to students whose applications are received on or before March 1, 2016. Applications received after the March 1 priority date will be considered for an award only if funding remains once all renewals and priority applicants have been awarded.
Generally, high school seniors who graduated in 2015 or will graduate with the class of 2016 are eligible for the All Iowa Opportunity Scholarship if they meet the following criteria:
- Iowa resident
- Attending an eligible Iowa college or university
- Must have graduated from an eligible Iowa high school within the last 2 years with a minimum of 2.5 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent
- Be a first-time college freshman in the fall 2016 or spring 2017 semesters (unless you are renewing your scholarship award)
- Must be continuously enrolled and continuously receiving a scholarship disbursement to renew a scholarship
- Enroll for at least 3 semester hours (or the trimester or quarter equivalent) in a program leading to an undergraduate degree
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and Iowa Financial Aid Application by March 1 for priority consideration
- Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $8,368 or lower from the 2016-17 FAFSA
- Complete any additional applications or documents required by the Iowa College Student Aid Commission.
Scholarship Disbursement Options
Option 1: Receive all scholarship proceeds during the 2016-2017 academic year only.
Students choosing this option who are enrolled full-time, may receive up to $8,368 for the 2016-2017 academic year only. There will be no scholarship award in the 2017-18 academic year.
Option 2: Receive scholarship funds during the 2016-2017 AND 2017-2018 academic years. Students choosing this option may receive up to $4,184 in 2016-17 and another disbursement of approximately $4,184** in the 2017-18 academic year provided they continue to meet the eligibility criteria for the award.
**The amount of this scholarship is based on the Regent average tuition and fee rate so the actual amount of the 2017-18 award is not known at this time.
No matter which option you choose, the amount of scholarship money you can receive is also based on:
- Your enrollment level (full-time, part-time), and
- Your financial need as determined by the FAFSA
- Attending an Iowa college or university
- Your Expected Family Contribution must remain at or below $8,368, and
- You must enroll for at least three semester hours, or the trimester or quarter equivalent, in a program leading to an undergraduate degree.
- The Iowa Financial Aid Application will be available January 1 through July 1.
- Priority FAFSA and Iowa Financial Aid Application Deadline is March 1.