All Iowa Opportunity Foster Care Grant
Students who age out of Iowa's foster care system, age out of the Iowa state training school or who are adopted from Iowa foster care after the age of 16 may qualify for the All Iowa Opportunity Foster Care Grant program. This grant can be used for any college expenses including tuition, fees, books and supplies, dorms and off-campus housing, meal plans, transportation and personal living expenses. Grant amounts are up to $9,010 per year.
Priority for Awards
- Renewal applications who have completed both the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and the Iowa Financial Aid Application by March 1, are considered for funding first.
- New applications will be considered in date-received order.
A student must:
- Be an Iowa resident
- Be/have turned 18 or age out of court ordered foster care and custody of the Iowa Department of Human Services, Iowa Juvenile Court Services, Iowa state training school.
- Student must be/have turned 18 or age out of court ordered foster care and custody of the Iowa Department of Human Services or Iowa Juvenile Court Services and order to live with a relative or suitable person.
- Be currently between the ages of 17 and 23 as of July 1, and previously in one of the living situations described above until the age of 18.
- Have completed the Free Application for Federal Aid and Iowa Financial Aid Application annually, and be eligible and awarded.
- Have been in Iowa foster care and was legally adopted after the age of 16. Student will be under the age of 23 as of July 1.
- Be currently or previously under Juvenile Court order to reside at the State Training School or Iowa Juvenile Home until the age of 18 and will be under the age of 23 as of July 1.
Note: Age of student will be determined by the student's age as of July 1 each year. Students are eligible to receive the grant until the maximum age of 24.
- Iowa Financial Aid Application
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
FAFSA tips for Foster Youth (pdf)
- The 2016-17 Iowa Financial Aid application closes December 1, 2016
- The 2017-18 Iowa Financial Aid Application will be available October 1, 2016 through December 1, 2017.
- Priority application deadline for renewal students is March 1.