All Iowa Opportunity Foster Care Grant
Students who age out of Iowa's foster care system, age out of the state training schools or who are adopted after the age of 16 may qualify for the All Iowa Opportunity Foster Care Grant program. This grant can be used for any college expenses including tuition, fees, books and supplies, dorms and off-campus housing, meal plans, transportation and personal living expenses. Grant amounts vary and usually range from $2,442 - $8,815 per year.
Priority for Awards
- Renewal applications, received by March 1, are considered for funding first.
- New applications will be considered in date-received order.
A student must:
- Be an Iowa resident
- Be under the age of 18 and currently in licensed foster care under the care and custody of the Iowa Department of Human Services or Iowa Juvenile Court Services, and will remain in placement to within 30 days of his or her 18th birthday.
- Be under the age of 18 and currently under Juvenile Court order to live with a relative or suitable person, and will remain in placement to within 30 days of the student's 18th birthday.
- Be currently between the ages of 18 and 23, and previously in one of the living situations described above until the age of 18.
- Have completed the annual Iowa Financial Aid Application and be eligible and awarded.
- Have been in Iowa foster care and was legally adopted after the age of 16. Student will be under the age of 23 on the day he or she begins college.
- Be currently or previously under Juvenile Court order to reside at the State Training School or Iowa Juvenile Home until the age of 18 and will be under the age of 23 on the day he or she begins college.
- Iowa Financial Aid Application
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
FAFSA tips for Foster Youth (pdf)
- The Iowa Financial Aid Application will be available January 1 through December 1.
- Priority application deadline for renewal students is March 1.