The GEAR UP Iowa Scholarship provides awards of up to $2,600 per year to students who are part of the GEAR UP Iowa state-wide cohort.
Scholarships are sent directly to the college/university that the student is attending and can be used to pay for tuition/fees, room/board, books/supplies, and personal/living expenses while in college.
To receive Scholarship funds, each student must:
- Have a high school diploma, GED, or home school diploma
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen as defined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Be under the age of 22 upon first receipt of Scholarship funds
- Enroll in at least 3 semester hours (or trimester or quarter equivalent) in an undergraduate program of study at a Title IV* college/university
- Have participated in GEAR UP Iowa programming as certified by GEAR UP Iowa staff
- Attend a Title IV* college/university
- Complete a FAFSA each year to receive Scholarship funds
- To receive the Scholarship in subsequent years, student must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress policies of their college/university
* What is a Title IV college/university?
A Title IV college/university is one that participates in Federal Student Aid programs. You can search for Title IV institutions on the Federal Student Aid website by entering information about the college (state, city, and/or name.) If your college appears in the Search Results, then it’s a Title IV college and you can receive GEAR UP Scholarship funds while you’re enrolled.
How many years can I receive a GEAR UP Iowa Scholarship?
The GEAR UP Iowa Scholarship can be renewed in subsequent years to fund undergraduate enrollment as long as:
- funding allows
- student is meeting their college/university Satisfactory Academic Progress policies
- student completes a FAFSA annually
- Iowa Financial Aid Application
Click on the application button to apply.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)